Benmore Forester Training School students 1943-45
The image is courtesy of Dave Stewart, Dufftown, from a collection belonging to his father George Stewart.
This image is one of two Benmore group photographs taken one year apart of which this is thought to be the earliest. Benmore Forester Training School had an intake of about 16 students in August each year for their two year course and the two photographs taken in about June 1944 and June 1945 will represent students from three intakes – namely 1942 – 1944, 1943-45 and 1944-46 students. In this case the two sets of students represented are highly probably those that started in 1942 and also 1943.
This photograph has all the student names written on the back, their common or nick names at the school and also their ‘nationalities’ whether English, Scots, Welsh or Northern Irish. The list of names below has the student name, signature name (from second photograph), years at Benmore, common or nick name at Benmore and ‘nationality’.
1. Dave Smith – David R Smith 1943-45 (Bob), Scots
2. Peter Richmond – P Richmond 1943-45 (Pete), Scots
3. Frank Pemberton - No signature, prob1942-44 (Pem), English
4. George Stewart – Did not sign, 1943-45 (Not given), Scots
5. William Dye – W E Dye 1943-45 (Bill), English
6. Peter Stuart – P Stuart 1943-45 (Boots), Scots
7. Derek Nelson – No signature, prob1942-44 (Yorky), English
8. Vivian Geydrech – V Gedryd 1943-45 (Taffy), Welsh
9. Alan Freeth – No signature, prob 1942-44 (Iley), English
10. Eric Eviritt – No signature, prob 19 42-44 (nil shown), English
11. John Gilchrist-John Chalmers Gilchrist 1943-45 (Ghilly or Peebles) Scots
12. Arthur Bell – Arthur M Bell 1943-45 (Paddy), N Irish
13. Robin Reeves – R W Reeve 1943-45 (The Duke), English
14. John Holmes – Jack Holmes 1943-45 (Lofty), English
15. John Matthews – J D Matthews 1943-45 (Haggis), English
16. Derek Cindry – No signature, prob 1942-44 (Cinders) English
17. John Ling – John Ling 1943-45 (Ting Ting), English
18. John McKenzie- No signature, prob1942-44 (Jonnie) Scots
19. Peter Aubrey - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Pete), English
20. Ronald Macdonald - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Mac), English
21. D B Crawford - D Byon Crawford 1943-45 (Bill or Willie), N Irish
22. Sandy Stewart - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Nil given) Scots
23. James McRorie - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Jimmy), Scots
24. Murdo Milne - Instructor – M Milne, Scots
25. Harry Watson - Principal – H Watson, Scots
26. Charles Dunbar - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Professor), Scots
27. Walter Scott - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Scotty), Scots
28. James Maxtone - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Maxy), Scots
29. Jeffray Waygood - No signature, prob1942-44 (Jeff), English
30. David Keens - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Dave), English
31. 31 Cidney Hall - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Cid), English
32. Derek Jowett – Derek Jowett 1943-45 (Shorty), English
33. Hugh Conn – Hugh Conn 1943-45 (Nil given), N Irish
34. William Murray – W Murray 1943-45 (Wally), Scots
35. Duncan Kirk - No signature, prob 1942-44 (Kirky),Scots
This gives 16 students in 1943-45 year group, 17 in the probable 1942-44 year group plus two instructors giving the 35 people in total.
This photograph was also shown in Record No 3724 and from which the two separate years have been identified.
John D Matthews went on to be a significant figure in Forest Research, Frank Pemberton was posted briefly from the South West of England to Leanachan Forest for a short period about 1970.
Any other follow up information on any of the students would be very welcome. The PDF contains a view of the back of the photograph with all the names.
Picture added on 28 October 2018 at 09:01