Restock Seminar Ft Augustus
Photograph is courtesy of John Ireland, who is currently based at Lochaber Forest District.
One of the field seminars to update front line staff on latest thinking on felled site cultivation systems and planting methods.
Up until this point the main tools available for cultivation was either the very large and heavy D7 tractor and mounted restock plough or a wheeled tractor with scarifier discs fitted on the back. These were suitable for drier pine typical sites but wetter spruce sites had to be planted without any cultivation until the advent of the mounding excavator which came to the forefront in the late 1970s. During the 1980s the systems of mounding was developed and further refined as excavators were further developed and tooled up and work studied.
The people present have been numbered and some named as follows:
1. John Keenleyside (Forest Research or Inverness Forest District)
2. Mike Green (suggested re comments below)
3. Roy Harvey (District Forester – Buchan Forest District)
5. David Tracy (Dave) (Research Forester - Silv(N) Research Outstation, Cairnbaan, Argyll)
7. Ron Marnie (Forest District Manager- Buchan Forest District)
8. John Drummond (Suggested re comments below)
9. Arkle Fraser (Forest District Manager – Dornoch Forest District)
12. Bob Smith (District Forester - Fort Augustus Forest District)
13. Gordon Paterson (Forest Research – Edinburgh)
14. Norman Davidson (District Forester – Dornoch Forest District)
More names would be very welcome.
Picture added on 02 November 2016 at 16:52