Monaughty Forest – Heldon Wood
Maps are courtesy of Moray and Aberdeenshire Forest District.
This would appear to be a 1969 print of 1967 survey of Monaughty Forest establishing updated compartment data and numbering in this case starting from Compartment No 1001.
This area of Monaughty was one of the earliest Forestry Commission holdings in the area and at the time named as Heldon Forest with some areas marked as planted in 1921. The grid iron outlines of the early compartment boundaries can just be ascertained covering much of the area. Felling of the first FC plantings have taken place in some localities as new forest crops have planting years in the 1960s. Note that from Compartment No 1100 the planting years are in the 1950s and may designate a later acquisition by the FC.
The large area of experimental planting and gene pool is of note in Compartments 1119 and 1120.
Any details about the forest or your work in the forest are very welcome.
Picture added on 23 September 2015