Culbin Forest winter lake nr Kincorth 1949
Photograph courtesy of Moray and Aberdeenshire Forest District with particular help from Lesley Hutcheson who collected a series of general photographs found in the Newton Office and filed them.
Information on back reads:
‘A winter loch near Kincorth will have its surround thatched and and planted in 1950. The Corsican pine beyond on the right was planted in 1928 whilst in the centre in 1938.’
Going by the description the 1950 planting year and the mix of older aged trees this would appear to be around the old compartment number 94.
Some tyre tracks are just visible and appear to be of the heavy military type vehicle and may have been used transport the thatching material which is spread on the rising edges above the flat and up to the tops of the dunes on the far side.
Picture added on 25 November 2014